Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Why must we hate what we don't understand?

It's darned hot here in Southern California! But My cattle in Texas are swimming, my range land in Oregon is drying out 3 months early, and we're having rain in Kentucky that is wreaking havoc with the quality of forage back there. There isn't a blanket fix, we have to handle each ranch and manage it according to the seasons and the whims of Mother Nature. Regionalism is diverse and a challenge. I can't grow the same grasses in the Northwest that I do here, we have to deal with Blister beetle in Texas so Alfalfa is a no grow,  endophytes and Naturally occurring cyanotoxins in the grass are a big concern in the East.
 It takes Knowledge and skill to keep livestock and forages healthy, a lot of hard work goes into bringing food to your table, and one devastating event can set you back years. I should know! One year ago this week we had an issue with the USDA processor we use here in Southern California, It resulted in a wholesale loss of over $40,000, Yeah Ouch! and let's not discount the fact that there was zero profit made from that loss. I am eternally grateful for those customers that talked to us, that stood behind us and have waited for us to be able to deliver what we promised, A year late! They get it, they know that there is an inherent risk in farming and ranching, they believe in us, and some of them have even put boots on the ground and cash in our hands to help. Wow! That's community! On the flip side, there were folks that rather than come out and talk to us, ask questions, or offer suggestions to assist, turned to bashing, and outright lying about us to make themselves feel better. In all honesty they darn near succeeded in California. Forcing us into bankruptcy to save the home place and watching sales dry up because people would rather believe hype than seek the truth. We've adjusted, accepted that people may not want to find the truth, and are moving forward.
Scarily, for me at least the same has held true for my return to health. Many of you know that I was a big fan of Paleo when I started out, in fact I still adhere pretty closely to the food aspect of the movement. But when I was vilified for not following the dogma, it was time to go. The trend toward misinformation to further a cause is something that I cannot support. I'm a rancher, albeit an overeducated loud mouthed one, but I know the facts, I know how the system works, where it is broken, and Just how hard we are working to bridge the gap between the consumer and the growers. Just because someone does things differently doesn't make them evil, in fact, they may have something to share that can help you. And if you're going to start cursing and calling people names just because they don't do things the way that you wish that they would, I really can't take you seriously. Let's talk rather than accuse, let's take constructive criticism and use it to become better communicators, let's learn from each other and reach out to help everyone succeed. That is the only way we are going to survive.
I want the hate to become understanding, and the viciousness to become positive discussion. Let's learn from each other and stop hating what we don't understand.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderfully said. Let's learn from each other and stop hating what we don't understand!

    ReplyDelete