Sunday, June 9, 2013

Dogma, and the effects of peception.

Computer is back from the doctor so here we go!
Several days ago a great friend of mine went on a rant, It really got me to thinking about what we as a society are doing and why.
His rant happened to be about the strictures of "PALEO" and as I laughed at his postings, I  had an AH HA moment. It's all about Dogma! You must adhere to preconceived notions or precepts or you are not "one of Us." The same holds true for Agriculture, If you aren't feeding this way, or managing your herds that way, you are wrong. I call BS!
Do what works! I have Celiacs disease so I don't do grains, When I know it is unavoidable (or that once a month biscuit and gravy) I plan for it, knowing full well that I will pay the price. It is a choice! I haven't dropped over 275 lbs listening to those that put me down for my choices. Heck no! So what if I'm not your definition of whatever fad you choose to follow this week. I am my own success! Same holds true for my Cattle, We follow a low stress program, we also irrigate our finishing pastures with a very specific formulation to get our Grass fed and finished beef to Grade out in the top 2/3 of choice. I giggle when people say that our beef isn't what it is because they don't know that it is possible to do what we do on graze alone. Oops! Better check it out!
One of my biggest concerns and what really shed a bright light on the issue was when one of the "Leaders" of the "Paleo" community had a great time at my expense, yet couldn't be bothered  to travel 15 minutes out of their way to lay eyes and tennis shoes on our operation. That's right 15 minutes! Why couldn't they do it? I believe that it is because they would have had to apologize for their actions and they would rather play God than be wrong. That being said, Take the Church of Paleo and Shove it!
I eat REAL FOOD, I don't judge those that choose a different path, I share what works for me, and if I get one person interested in changing their life for the better, that's a MAJOR WIN! I have people come out all the time because they "Just can't Believe the BS" Great! Now they know how WE raise beef, how our operation works, a little bit about me and my choices and they come away THINKING!
My life and my operation has become multi faceted rather quickly, and frankly, I don't have time for the Negative crap! Life is hard! It takes work! Lots of it! And those people that are loving and supportive are what we NEED as human beings to keep moving forward. Perceptions can change in the blink of an eye just by tone of voice or intonation, Lack of knowledge leads us to follow the Dogma thrown out by people that truly have no clue, that scares me!
Think about what you are doing and why, do research, learn, work hard, play hard, love deeply, and be grateful. If you want Ice cream or a Burger with fries, EAT IT! Just not every day. Hold on to those that love you and let the rest go. It may hurt for a second, but let me tell you, negativity can kill you.


1 comment: