Saturday, June 22, 2013

Take it Minute by Minute

Some of you know that I had skin removal surgery this week. It is another step in my journey back to health. Some people are already being critical and calling it vanity. WRONG! It was a necessary procedure, as soon as the swelling goes down and the stitches come out I will be able to do things I haven't done in YEARS! Crawl over the tailgate of a truck, slide down to change settings on the tractor, get on a horse without a mounting block. Wear clothes that don't stretch! Holy heck! People have been listening to me complain about being too short to reach over a set of duals to get stuff out of the truck for years! I wasn't too short! I had 8' of stuff in the way! I worked Hard! Got a lot of those pounds off, and now I can MOVE!
My cattle benefit from this as well! I no longer drive through the pastures and eyeball them from the cab of the truck, I walk those pastures, or ride them either on a horse or ATV. I can see and assess condition and health from 3 feet not 30, and Yes it does make a difference!
My journey is far from over, in fact it will never be over, and I'm thrilled that many of you have decided to take it with me! I have found friends that I did not know were there, and you all inspire me!
It truly is a journey taken minute by minute, emotions, attitudes, angst, they all have an effect on how I handle each and every day. Raising livestock takes dedication, Life takes dedication, and once you decide to make the choices that are right for you and the life you choose, things line out rather quickly. It's not easy, in fact it's damn hard! But you have to LIVE! Just existing sucks!
We all shuffle that if deck, If only I had done this, If I wasn't alone, If it wasn't so much work, and the list goes on. Set priorities, Set goals, Lose your negativity, I promise you that with hard work and dedication you can change anything! I'm living, breathing proof of that!
If you would have said to me even a year ago that I would be speaking to people all over the world about agricultural practices and how our own health ties into the big picture I would have said that you had lost your marbles! But guess what! I would have been wrong.
I  believe that each and every one of us has a purpose, and mine happens to be talking about food, choices, and the future of agriculture from a real world perspective.
Too many people are disconnected from the real life issues faced by farmers and ranchers every single day! How do we feed the world? By being exceptional stewards, of the land, the bounty that comes from it, and the most basic tool that we use every minute to make that possible, our bodies. Because without that, we have nothing.
Until next time! M

No comments:

Post a Comment